897. Mercy UNK (Pierson?)

Mercy Slawson

B 1662  |  Stamford, CT, USA

D 5 April 1735  |  Stamford, CT, USA

M 1680  |  Stamford, CT, USA



There is conflicting information available as to the wife of Stephen Bishop. Stephen Bishop (b. 1664, Stamford, CT), son of Rev. John Bishop and Rebecca Goodyear, is shown in many places as having wife Mercy _____ (b. ca. 1662), Stamford, CT. Most Bishop sources say this is Mercy Slawson. However, The Slawson, Slausson, Slasson, etc... Genealogy book makes no reference AT ALL to any one that could be Mercy Slawson. Other sources have suggested that Stephen's wife could be Mercy or Mary Pierson. A listing of Bouton marriages shows that a Stephen Bishop married wife Mercy Pierson, but no dates or any other info.


Photographs


Documents

Affidavit in Defense of Elizabeth Slauson
Document

Affidavit in Defense of Elizabeth Clauson

The citizens of Stamford signed an affidavit attesting to the good character of Elizabeth Clauson, accused of witchcraft. Signed by Stephen's father and mother, Stephen Bishop Sr. and Mercy Bishop.

Our neighbor Stephen Clason having desired us whose names are under written: seeing there is such a report of his wife raised by some among us: that we would speak what we know concerning his said wife and her behavior among us for so many years now know all whom it may concern that we do declare that since we have known our said neighbor goodwife Clason we have not known her to be of a contentious frame nor given to use threatening words or to act maliciously towards her neighbors but hath been civil and orderly towards others in her conversation and not to be a busybody in other menâs concerns: given under our hands in Stamford: 4th June 1692:

Signed by:

Abraham Ambler
Mary Ambler *
Daniell Scoffield
Samuell ffinch
Sara Finch *
Samuell:Finch, Jr.
Joseph Turney
Mary Turny
Abraham Finch
John ffinch
Benjamin Green
Susannah Green *
Joseph Greene
Elizabeth Greene *
Zachariah Dibboll
Samuel Hait
Hannah Hait *
John Slason, Sr.
Increase Holly
Elizabeth Holly *
Obadiah Stevens *
Rebeckah Stevens
isack Finch
Daniel Newman
Abraham Finch, Jr.
Samuell homes
Steven Homes
Martha Homes *
Jonathan Bell, Sr.
Susana Bell
Jonas Seely
George Slawson
John Smith and
    his wife
Thomas Newman
Mary Newman *
Joseph Garnsy
Joseph Stevens
Sarah Stevens *
Jonas Weed
Moses Knap * and 
   his wife
Joseph Browne
John Crissy
John Scofeeld
John Finch
Beniamin Hait
Hannah Hait
Peter ffarris
Joseph fferris
Hannah Farris *
John Pettit
Elizabeth Clemmons *
ledy Pennoyer *
Hannah Webb *
Richard Scofield
John Knap
Caleb Knap
John Uerfet
______ Bates
Sarah Bates
Samuell Webb
Samuell Hardy
Rebecca Hardy *
Ann Hardy
John Goolt
Hana Goolt
Stephen Bishop
Mercy Bishop *
Samuell Dean
Ann Dean
John Dean
Abigail Dean
John Austen
Hannah Austen *

* Signed with an "X".

Added by Michael D. Ketchum 7 September 2014
Bishop Barbour Index  Bishop Barbour Index

This text file contains the births, marriages, and deaths of Bishops in Stamford between 1641 and 1853. The Barbour Index entries are alphabetized by first name.

Stamford Family Registrations  Stamford Family Registrations

This text file contains the births, marriages, and deaths of Bishops in Stamford between 1641 and 1797. The entries in Huntington's Registration are listed in chronological orderby individual family unit.

Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop  Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop

A chronical of the Bishop Family penned by Lewis Conley Bishop

Descendants of John Byyshop  Descendants of John Byyshop

A comprehensive listing including details.

Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut  Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut

A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. Including details of the Bishops in Stamford.

A History of Stamford Connecticut  History of Stamford, Connecticut

A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. Including details of the Bishops in Stamford.

In 1734, forty-six planters on the west side of the Norwalk river petition for a new society. The next notice taken of this project, as far as records show, was simultaneously in Stamford and at the May session of the legislature, in 1736. Sixty-nine petitions, representing eighty families, and a list of L5,580, made a formal request to be incorporated as an ecclesiastical society by themselves. The petition was negatived, only to be renewed in October of the same year, by fifty-six men. The urgency of the petitioners led to the appointment of a special committee to examine their claims. In May 1737 the committee report favorably, assigning as proper boundaries of the society the Five Mile river on the east, and the Noroton on the west...On the west side of the parish, to separate it from the older society of Stamford, they define, as the western-most limits of Middlesex, "an old chimney about two and a half miles east of the Stamford meeting house," and "so to run a strait line midway between Stephen Bishop's house and David Dribble's house," and thence to where the Noroton crosses the Canaan line.
Sept. 19 - Committee for the safety for the town, appointed agreeably to recommendations of the continental congress, Col. Davenport, Esq., Benj. Weed, Esq., Amos Weed, Charles Weed, Israel Weed, Nathan Lounsberry, Thadeus Bell, Stephen Bishop, Deodate Davenport, Charles Smith and James Young. Witness: Sam. Jarvis, clerk.

Norwalk by Rev. Charles M. Selleck, A.M.  Norwalk by Rev. Charles M. Selleck, A.M.

A book to bring the ancient town's recondite history to light, preserving and perpetuating its mentions and memories. Inluding some Bishop references.

A Catalogue of the Names of the Early Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut; with the time of their arrival in the Country and Colony, their standing in society, place of residence, condition in life, where from, business, etc.  A Catalogue of the Names of the Early Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut

A Catalogue of the Names of the Early Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut; with the time of their arrival in the Country and Colony, their standing in society, place of residence, condition in life, where from, business, etc. Many Bishops listed starting page 241 (p 232 in document).

The Elizabeth Clauson Witchcraft Trial  Elizabeth Clauson Witchcraft Trial

An Account of the Trial in 1692 of a Woman from Stamford, Connecticut Who Was Accused of Being a Witch by Ronald Marcus. Unlike the more famous Salem Witch Trials, the Stamford cases ended in acquittal. Some involvement from the Rev. John Bishop and Stephen Bishop, Sr.

Notes

Stephen Bishop (1664-1722) and wife Mercy (maybe Pierson) (ca. 1662-ca. 1735) had the following children:
John Bishop - 1682
Twins Stephen and Abraham Bishop - 1684
Theophilius Bishop - 1686
Isaac Bishop - 1689
Abigail Bishop--1696

From "A History of Stamford" by E.B. Huntington, I have the following Pierson/Pearson facts:
_____ Pierson was granted land in Nov/1642 in Stamford, CT.
A Jacob Pearson was among the land holders in Stamford in 1661.
Henry Pierson is mentioned as having emigrated with Rev. Richard Denton from Stamford to what is now Hempsted, Long Island, to start a new settlement in 1644.
A Susanna Pierson, daughter of the Rev. Abraham Pierson of Branford married Jonathan Bell in October, 1672.
A Susanna Pierson married Benjamin Bishop in 1696.
A Rev. Pierson of Guilford was asked in May, 1660, to come to settle church affairs in Stamford by Mr. Bishop (probably Rev. John).
An Elizabeth Hardy (of Concord?) married ______ Pearson.


Will proved July 23, 1723 lists children. Came from "Families of old Fairfield" by D. L. Jacobus which is a history of Stamford, Conn. History and Genealogy of The Families of Old Fairfield. Bishop, Stephen, s. of John. Deputy for Stamford, Oct. 1700, Oct. and Dec. 1707, Oct. 1708, May, June and Oct. 1709. He died at Stamford, 3 Dec. 1722 [1723?]. Married Mercy. Inv. of Mr. Stephen Bishop who d. 3 Dec. 1723; adm'n granted to son John. Five children: John, Stephen, Isaac, Rebecca wife of Elisha Holly, Abigail wife of John Seeley. Children, recorded at Stamford: John b. abt. 1682; will 16 Apr. 1752, proved 12 Jan. 1758; m. (1) 10 May 1704, Mary Talmadge, b. at New Haven, 3 Feb. 1683/3, d. 23 Sept. 1725; m. (2) 24 Jan. 1725/6, widow Sarah Lewis of Fairfield; she was widow of Nathan Lewis, and dau. of Capt. John Osborn, b. abt. 1689, d. 30 Apr. 1729; m. (3) Abigail ------.

Stephen and his wife were both involved in the Witch trial of Elizabeth Clawson from Stamford, signing the petition seeking dismissal of the charges.

Stamford had quite a few one-room schoolhouses. "In October, 1685, the town voted to heat the school: "The town appoint ye schoolhouse to be fitted with a stone chimney and all other ways comfortably fitted for use of ye school." Five years later the town decided it needed a larger school, and the little building was sold to Stephen Bishop for twenty shillings and sixpence.

Stephen Bishop was considered one of Stamford's wealthiest men. He was the son of the now deceased spiritual leader of the area, Rev. John Bishop, who was by no means wealthy. But Stephen had somehow managed to turn his inheritance into a fortune by the standards of the day. He had married a local girl named Mercy in about 1680, and together they had eight children-six sons and two daughters. He served as Sheriff for Stamford in 1700, and again from 1707 through 1709.

In 1712, he transferred most of his property to his three sons who were still living-by now all grown. These titles were considered "deed of gift." This meant that they were usually transferred for the "sum of a dollar for the love and affection I hold for my son." The oldest, John was a weaver by trade. Stephen Jr., and Joseph were both farmers. Abraham, Stephen, Jr.'s twin brother, had passed, as had Theophilus. The girls, Rebecca and Abigail were both married, and as was the custom of the day were not included in the transference of land.

Stephen died December 3, 1722 in Stamford, and Mercy died April 5, 1735. They were buried in the old common burying ground with Stephen's father Rev. John Bishop. That cemetery now lies under Columbus Park, and most of the graves were moved to Ye Old North Field, one of Stamford's oldest cemeteries.


History of Stamford, Connecticut

In the History of Stamford, Connecticut by Elijah Baldwin Huntington, these entries for the Bishop family are found:

Bishop, Stephen, served in '75 and 197 days in '76, and then re-enlisted. He was a sergeant and was pensioned.

Stephen Bishop was listed as a town official for the year 1800.

About Me

Father, writer, poet, producer, director, actor, singer, guitarist, graphic designer, raconteur, excellent typist, determined, profound speaker, zero-gravity thinker, sage advisor, gruntled, website builder, skeptic, intermittently quixotic, historian, foodie...approaching all endeavors with a bit of Sprezzatura.