Stephen Bishop, the son of Rev. John Bishop and Rebecca Goodyear, was born 16 October 1664 in Stamford, Fairfield, CT. He married Mercy UNK. There is conflicting information as to whether he married a Mercy Slawson or Mercy Pierson. He died on 3 December 1722. Stephen was Schoolmaster, Deacon, Selectman, and representative in CT Assembly for Stamford. Stephen became one of Stamford's wealthiest men. Tax list from Jan 1701/02 show his taxable property appraised at L143:10:00, second among the 117 heads of families listed. At his death his value was L180:06:06, to be divided among his widow, sons John, Stephen II, Issac, and two daughters Rebecca and Abigail.
Affidavit in Defense of Elizabeth Clauson
The citizens of Stamford signed an affidavit attesting to the good character of Elizabeth Clauson, accused of witchcraft. Signed by Stephen's father and mother, Stephen Bishop Sr. and Mercy Slawson Bishop.
Our neighbor Stephen Clason having desired us whose names are under written: seeing there is such a report of his wife raised by some among us: that we would speak what we know concerning his said wife and her behavior among us for so many years now know all whom it may concern that we do declare that since we have known our said neighbor goodwife Clason we have not known her to be of a contentious frame nor given to use threatening words or to act maliciously towards her neighbors but hath been civil and orderly towards others in her conversation and not to be a busybody in other menâs concerns: given under our hands in Stamford: 4th June 1692:
Mary Ambler *
Sara Finch *
Susannah Green *
Elizabeth Greene *
Hannah Hait *
John Slason, Sr.
Elizabeth Holly *
Obadiah Stevens *
Abraham Finch, Jr.
Martha Homes *
Jonathan Bell, Sr.
John Smith and
Mary Newman *
Sarah Stevens *
Moses Knap * and
Hannah Farris *
Elizabeth Clemmons *
ledy Pennoyer *
Hannah Webb *
Rebecca Hardy *
Mercy Bishop *
Hannah Austen *
This text file contains the births, marriages, and deaths of Bishops in Stamford between 1641 and 1797. The entries in Huntington's Registration are listed in chronological orderby individual family unit.
A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. Including details of the Bishops in Stamford.
In 1734, forty-six planters on the west side of the Norwalk river petition for a new society. The next notice taken of this project, as far as records show, was simultaneously in Stamford and at the May session of the legislature, in 1736. Sixty-nine petitions, representing eighty families, and a list of L5,580, made a formal request to be incorporated as an ecclesiastical society by themselves. The petition was negatived, only to be renewed in October of the same year, by fifty-six men. The urgency of the petitioners led to the appointment of a special committee to examine their claims. In May 1737 the committee report favorably, assigning as proper boundaries of the society the Five Mile river on the east, and the Noroton on the west...On the west side of the parish, to separate it from the older society of Stamford, they define, as the western-most limits of Middlesex, "an old chimney about two and a half miles east of the Stamford meeting house," and "so to run a strait line midway between Stephen Bishop's house and David Dribble's house," and thence to where the Noroton crosses the Canaan line.
Sept. 19 - Committee for the safety for the town, appointed agreeably to recommendations of the continental congress, Col. Davenport, Esq., Benj. Weed, Esq., Amos Weed, Charles Weed, Israel Weed, Nathan Lounsberry, Thadeus Bell, Stephen Bishop, Deodate Davenport, Charles Smith and James Young. Witness: Sam. Jarvis, clerk.
A Catalogue of the Names of the Early Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut; with the time of their arrival in the Country and Colony, their standing in society, place of residence, condition in life, where from, business, etc. Many Bishops listed starting page 241 (p 232 in document).
An Account of the Trial in 1692 of a Woman from Stamford, Connecticut Who Was Accused of Being a Witch by Ronald Marcus. Unlike the more famous Salem Witch Trials, the Stamford cases ended in acquittal. Some involvement from the Rev. John Bishop and Stephen Bishop, Sr.
Bishop, Stephen, late of Stamford, will dated July 21, 1731, probated Aug. 3, 1731, mentions his children Stephen, Joseph, Azuba, and Elizabeth. Executor his brother Isaac Bishop. Witnesses Ebenezer Wright, John Bishop, and John Bell, page 27. Inventory filed Apr. 4, 1733, page 27. Apr. 4, 1733, account filed, and distribution ordered as in his will. Azuba and Stephen over fourteen, Joseph and Elizabeth under fourteen, and guardians appointed for them, page 29. Source: Abstracts of Stamford Probate Records - Book One compiled by Spencer P. Mead
Will proved July 23, 1723 lists children. Came from "Families of old Fairfield" by D. L. Jacobus which is a history of Stamford, Conn. History and Genealogy of The Families of Old Fairfield.
Bishop, Stephen, s. of John. Deputy for Stamford, Oct. 1700, Oct. and Dec. 1707, Oct. 1708, May, June and Oct. 1709. He died at Stamford, 3 Dec. 1722 [1723?]. Married Mercy Slawson. Inv. of Mr. Stephen Bishop who d. 3 Dec. 1723; adm'n granted to son John. Five children: John, Stephen, Isaac, Rebecca wife of Elisha Holly, Abigail wife of John Seeley. Children, recorded at Stamford:
John b. abt. 1682; will 16 Apr. 1752, proved 12 Jan. 1758; m. (1) 10 May 1704, Mary Talmadge, b. at New Haven, 3 Feb. 1683/3, d. 23 Sept. 1725; m. (2) 24 Jan. 1725/6, widow Sarah Lewis of Fairfield; she was widow of Nathan Lewis, and dau. of Capt. John Osborn, b. abt. 1689, d. 30 Apr. 1729; m. (3) Abigail ------.
Stephen and his wife were both involved in the Witch trial of Elizabeth Clawson from Stamford, signing the petition seeking dismissal of the charges.
Stamford had quite a few one-room schoolhouses. "In October, 1685, the town voted to heat the school: "The town appoint ye schoolhouse to be fitted with a stone chimney and all other ways comfortably fitted for use of ye school." Five years later the town decided it needed a larger school, and the little building was sold to Stephen Bishop for twenty shillings and sixpence.
Stephen Bishop was considered one of Stamford's wealthiest men. He was the son of the now deceased spiritual leader of the area, Rev. John Bishop, who was by no means wealthy. But Stephen had somehow managed to turn his inheritance into a fortune by the standards of the day. He had married a local girl named Mercy in about 1680, and together they had eight children-six sons and two daughters. He served as Sheriff for Stamford in 1700, and again from 1707 through 1709.
In 1712, he transferred most of his property to his three sons who were still living-by now all grown. These titles were considered "deed of gift." This meant that they were usually transferred for the "sum of a dollar for the love and affection I hold for my son." The oldest, John was a weaver by trade. Stephen Jr., and Joseph were both farmers. Abraham, Stephen, Jr.'s twin brother, had passed, as had Theophilus. The girls, Rebecca and Abigail were both married, and as was the custom of the day were not included in the transference of land.
Stephen died December 3, 1722 in Stamford, and Mercy died April 5, 1735. They were buried in the old common burying ground with Stephen's father Rev. John Bishop. That cemetery now lies under Columbus Park, and most of the graves were moved to Ye Old North Field, one of Stamford's oldest cemeteries.
History of Stamford, Connecticut
In the History of Stamford, Connecticut by Elijah Baldwin Huntington, these entries for the Bishop family are found:
Bishop, Stephen, served in '75 and 197 days in '76, and then re-enlisted. He was a sergeant and was pensioned.
Stephen Bishop was listed as a town official for the year 1800.