You can stay up-to-date with our latest news by subscribing to our newsletter.
7169. Bride Buckler
B abt 1540 | Manor Holway, Cattistock, England
D UNK | Manor Holway, Cattistock, England
M abt 1569 | Manor Holway, Cattistock, England
Bride Buckler was born at Ancient Manor, Holway Co, Dorset, England about 1540, daughter of Alexander Buckler and Elizabeth UNK. She was also the niece of Sir Richard Buckler, Knight. She married William Bisshop, Esquire, abt 1569 at Holway, England. He was born at Ancient Manor, Holway Co, Dorset, England 1540. His parents were John Bishop and Elizabeth Dawe.
On Page 698, there is a detailing of a relationships between the Buckler and Watkins families. It mentions the marriage of an Alexander Buckler and an Elizabeth Watkins in which some family trees reference. However, this indicates that they had 4 sons, with no mention of a daughter.The Descendants of John Byyshop
A comprehensive list of the descendants of John ByyshopTopographer and Genealogist
Detailing the pedigress of Bishop, of Dorsetshire and London. Includes the genealogical line of William Bishop.
The home of William Bisshop II was the ancient manor of "Holway" about a mile north of the village where the church and school are located. Other farms in the same area, owned by members of the Bishop family were "In-Park," "West Holway," "Lower Holway," "Metford," "North Chalmington," "Chalmington," "Chalmington," and possibly others. Total property in excess of 1000 acres.
Records of the English province of the Society of Jesus
On Page 698, there is a detailing of a relationships between the Buckler and Watkins families. It mentions the marriage of an Alexander Buckler and an Elizabeth Watkins in which some family trees reference. However, this indicates that they had 4 sons, with no mention of a daughter.
"I made a note of the farm of Mr. Watkins, in Beaminster, county Dorset, where Mass was said, as also at Corscombe, in the same vicinity. Alexander Butler, of Woolcombe, Maltravers, in the county of Dorset, gent., married Elizabeth, daughter of Humphrey Watkins, of Halwell, and sister of Richard Watkins, Esq.; the said Alexander died in 1568, and his widow in 1580. They had four sons, John, Alexander, Christopher, and Edward.
Alexander Buckler and Elizabeth his wife were buried close to the ancient cross by the south porch or their old parish church of Melbury Bubb, which was built by their relative, Walter Buckler, priest, rector of Melbury from 1466 to 1513.
Cattistock Church, Stone
Catistock Church. Around the verge of a flat stone, upon a tomb is the following inscription:
"Hie jacet Guilielmus Bishop, nuper de Holwaye, cum Brida, uxore sua ante annos novem prius defuncta: oblit 26 due Decembris 1621, acetatis suae 83."
Bride, daughter of Alexander of Wolcomb buried 1613.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin stands at the foot of Bubb Down which derives its name from Bubba, a Saxon, who lived there. The presence of a Saxon font in Melbury Bubb church suggests that there has been a church here from very early days. Nothing remains prior to 1474 when the church was rebuilt during the time of the Rector Walter Buckler (brother of John of Causeway), whose initials are carved on some shieldson the tower. This tower, so beautiful against the hill, is almost all that remains of his church. The rest was virtually rebuilt in 1854, probably reproducing the main features of the older church and incorporating some of the stained glass.
The grave of Alexander Buckler, is just outside and opposite the church door. The Buckler family at one time lived in the Old Manor House next to the Church. A descendant of the family still lives in the parish at Holywell. Next to Alexander's tomb is the tomb of his grandson Thomas who died in 1634.
Lower part of the west window. This was put there in 1886 and bears a Latin inscription which translates:
"Sacred to the memory of William Buckler, a descendant of Alexander, nephew of Sir Walter, who settled in Maryland in 1793. Erected by the filial peity Thomas Hepburn Buckler in 1886."
Stockwood Mill. Used for tucking and dying, and was owned by Alexander and Elizabeth Buckler sometime between 1560 and 1590. It is recorded in their wills of 1567 and 1579. It is only a couple of miles by road from Melbury Bubb.