You can stay up-to-date with our latest news by subscribing to our newsletter.
57353. Mary Compton
B abt 1445 | Causeway County, Dorset, England
D abt 1510 | Dorset, England
Mary Compton was born in 1445. She married John Buckler, born in 1442 in Causeway County, Dorset, England. They were married in 1472 (during the reign of Edward IV). John died in 1483 in Dorset, England. John had 2 sons, John and Walter, and a daughter, Edith. Walter Buckler was the second son of John and Mary.
Buckler of Causeway and Wolcombe Maltravers, co. Dorset continued from The Herald's Visitations of A.D. 1565 and A.D. 1623.The Publications of the Harleian Society, Volume 20
Details of the Buckler Pedigree.The Visitation of the County of Dorset taken in 1623
Additional details of the Buckler line in Dorset County, England.
JOHN BUGLER of Cawsway, co. Dorset, mar. and had issue, JOHN, his eldest son ; Sir Walter Bucler, Kt., second son, which died sans issue.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin stands at the foot of Bubb Down which derives its name from Bubba, a Saxon, who lived there. The presence of a Saxon font in Melbury Bubb church suggests that there has been a church here from very early days. Nothing remains prior to 1474 when the church was rebuilt during the time of the Rector Walter Buckler (brother of John of Causeway), whose initials are carved on some shieldson the tower. This tower, so beautiful against the hill, is almost all that remains of his church. The rest was virtually rebuilt in 1854, probably reproducing the main features of the older church and incorporating some of the stained glass.
The grave of Alexander Buckler, is just outside and opposite the church door. The Buckler family at one time lived in the Old Manor House next to the Church. A descendant of the family still lives in the parish at Holywell. Next to Alexander's tomb is the tomb of his grandson Thomas who died in 1634.
Lower part of the west window. This was put there in 1886 and bears a Latin inscription which translates:
"Sacred to the memory of William Buckler, a descendant of Alexander, nephew of Sir Walter, who settled in Maryland in 1793. Erected by the filial peity Thomas Hepburn Buckler in 1886."
Sir Walter Buckler
Sir Walter Buckler (or Bucler) (died 1554/8) was a diplomat, chamberlain of the household to Lady Elizabeth, later Queen Elizabeth I, and private secretary to Catherine Parr, the sixth wife of King Henry VIII. Walter Buckler was the second son of John Buckler, gentleman, of Causeway near Radipole and Weymouth, Dorset. He had an elder brother, John, and a sister, Edith, who married John Wolley of Leigh, Dorset, and was the mother of Queen Elizabeth I's Latin secretary, Sir John Wolley.
Buckler studied in France at the University of Paris, and at the University of Oxford in England, where on 31 March 1525 he was awarded the degree of Master of Arts. He was a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford, and was appointed Canon of Cardinal College, founded in 1525 by Thomas Wolsey. After Wolsey's fall from power in 1529, Cardinal College was refounded in 1532 as King Henry VIII's College, and Buckler was again appointed Canon. On 25 June 1534 he was granted the degree of Bachelor of Divinity, although he did not take priestly orders.
According to the Lisle Letters, Buckler was in Paris during the period 1534-6. When Lady Lisle determined in December 1534 to send her son, James Bassett, to school in Paris, she turned for help in supervising his care to 'John Bekinsau, Thomas Rainolde, and Walter Bucler . . . Oxford scholars . . . drawn to Paris by the reputation of its great University'. Young James Bassett arrived in Paris on 13 August 1535, and stayed until 19 August 1536. After his departure, Buckler assisted Lady Lisle with other matters; on 21 August 1536 he wrote to her concerning a diamond brooch she wished to have made 'of the Assumption of Our Lady'. By the spring of 1539 Buckler was in Venice, and on 28 April was the bearer of a letter from Edmund Harvel, the English ambassador in Venice, to Thomas Cromwell in England. In the letter Harvel says that he can personally speak of Buckler's 'singular goodness and humanity, and [that] all learned men here extol his erudition and wit', adding that Buckler is 'worthy Cromwell's benevolence'. On 22 October 1539 Buckler was again in Paris, where John Bekinsau entrusted him with a letter to be delivered to Cromwell in England. In 1542 Buckler was in Venice, and on 25 April was the bearer of a letter from Harvel to Henry VIII. On 20 May 1543 Harvel wrote from Venice to Anthony Denny mentioning cramp rings sent to him by Buckler.
Buckler was a known supporter of the Protestant Reformation, and in 1545 was sent on a year-long embassy to the German princes. In January 1545 he and Christopher Mont were dispatched to Germany by Henry VIII, entrusted with the task of attempting to create an alliance between England, the German princes, and the King of Denmark. The mission was ultimately unsuccessful, and Buckler was recalled in December 1545, although Mont remained on the continent. In a letter from Strasbourg on 31 December 1545, Mont wrote that Buckler's departure was 'deplored by all Protestants and good men' there who had desired union with Henry VIII against the Pope.
Buckler also served as secretary to Henry VIII's sixth wife, Catherine Parr, as a letter dated 8 August 1544 refers to him as 'Mr Buckler, the Queen's secretary'. In recognition of his service to the Queen, the King granted Buckler Wye College at Wye, Kent, which had been founded in 1447 by John Kempe, Archbishop of Canterbury, and had been surrendered to the crown at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Among the conditions of the grant was a stipulation that Buckler should provide for, and pay the salary of, a 'sufficient schoolmaster' for the education of the students of the College. He did not retain the property for long as on 25 November 1546 he was granted licence to alienate Wye College to his brother-in-law, Maurice Denys.
Buckler was knighted on 22 February 1547, two days after the coronation of King Edward VI. During the young King's reign, Buckler was in Princess Elizabeth's household at Hatfield, Hertfordshire, from 1550, and at the death of Sir Henry Parker on 8 January 1552 was appointed as her chamberlain. A household account book survives from 1551–2 in which each page bears the signatures of Elizabeth and her chamberlain, Walter Buckler. On 7 October 1552 Buckler and Sir Thomas Parry, Comptroller of the Household, wrote to Sir William Cecil requesting him to obtain letters from King Edward VI to further Elizabeth's request that John Barlow, Dean of Worcester, should grant her 'a little farm'. In March 1553 the Privy Council instructed that Buckler was to be replaced as chamberlain of the Princess' household by Sir Nicholas Strange. The reason for his removal is unknown.
On 24 November 1546 Christopher Mont wrote to Buckler saying that he supposed him 'now married with an honest wife', and on 8 December 1546 Buckler conveyed properties to his future brother-in-laws Sir Walter Denys and Maurice Denys as feoffees to his use 'until the celebration of his intended marriage with Katharine Tame, widow of Sir Edmund Tame, deceased, and after that to the use of him and his said wife in survivorship'. Buckler's wife, born Katherine Denys, was the widow of Sir Edmund Tame (d.1544), of Fairford and the daughter of Sir William Denys (d. 22 June 1533), of Dyrham, Sheriff of Gloucestershire, by his wife Anne Berkeley, the daughter of Maurice Berkeley (died 1506), de jure 3rd Baron Berkeley. Katherine was the sister of Sir Walter Denys of Dyrham and Maurice Denys of Siston, Gloucestershire. The marriage was without issue and Walter Buckler's heir was his nephew, Richard Buckler, second son of his brother John. After Walter Buckler's death, his widow, Katherine, married Roger Lygon (d.1584), esquire. The effigies of Katherine and Roger lie side by side in Fairford Church. She was still living on 12 September 1575, when she wrote to Lord Burghley on behalf of 'Andrew Buckler, Comptroller of the Port of Poole, a nephew of her late husband, Sir Walter Buckler'. She is said to have died in 1582.
Confusion concerning the date of Buckler's death has arisen from the claim in Wood's Fasti that he was appointed to Queen Elizabeth I's Privy Council at her accession in November 1558. However there is documentary evidence that Buckler had died before Queen Elizabeth came to the throne, and that his wife, Katherine Denys, had re-married to Roger Lygon by 1554. On 26 October 1554 Queen Mary I and King Philip granted to Roger Lygon and 'Katherine Buckler, late wife of Walter Buckler, deceased', the manor of Cheltenham, and in 1557 Katherine and Roger Lygon were co-purchasers of a lease of the manor of Coln Rogers. Buckler died apparently at Fairford, Gloucestershire, the manor inherited by his wife from her first husband Edmund Tame, and was buried in the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, built by the Tame family.