The citizens of Stamford signed an affidavit attesting to the good character of Elizabeth Clauson, accused of witchcraft. Signed by Stephen's father and mother, Stephen Bishop Sr. and Mercy Slawson Bishop.
Our neighbor Stephen Clason having desired us whose names are under written: seeing there is such a report of his wife raised by some among us: that we would speak what we know concerning his said wife and her behavior among us for so many years now know all whom it may concern that we do declare that since we have known our said neighbor goodwife Clason we have not known her to be of a contentious frame nor given to use threatening words or to act maliciously towards her neighbors but hath been civil and orderly towards others in her conversation and not to be a busybody in other menâs concerns: given under our hands in Stamford: 4th June 1692:
Mary Ambler *
Sara Finch *
Susannah Green *
Elizabeth Greene *
Hannah Hait *
John Slason, Sr.
Elizabeth Holly *
Obadiah Stevens *
Abraham Finch, Jr.
Martha Homes *
Jonathan Bell, Sr.
John Smith and
Mary Newman *
Sarah Stevens *
Moses Knap * and
Hannah Farris *
Elizabeth Clemmons *
ledy Pennoyer *
Hannah Webb *
Rebecca Hardy *
Mercy Bishop *
Hannah Austen *
This text file contains the births, marriages, and deaths of Bishops in Stamford between 1641 and 1797. The entries in Huntington's Registration are listed in chronological orderby individual family unit.
A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. Including details of the Bishops in Stamford.
In 1734, forty-six planters on the west side of the Norwalk river petition for a new society. The next notice taken of this project, as far as records show, was simultaneously in Stamford and at the May session of the legislature, in 1736. Sixty-nine petitions, representing eighty families, and a list of L5,580, made a formal request to be incorporated as an ecclesiastical society by themselves. The petition was negatived, only to be renewed in October of the same year, by fifty-six men. The urgency of the petitioners led to the appointment of a special committee to examine their claims. In May 1737 the committee report favorably, assigning as proper boundaries of the society the Five Mile river on the east, and the Noroton on the west...On the west side of the parish, to separate it from the older society of Stamford, they define, as the western-most limits of Middlesex, "an old chimney about two and a half miles east of the Stamford meeting house," and "so to run a strait line midway between Stephen Bishop's house and David Dribble's house," and thence to where the Noroton crosses the Canaan line.
Sept. 19 - Committee for the safety for the town, appointed agreeably to recommendations of the continental congress, Col. Davenport, Esq., Benj. Weed, Esq., Amos Weed, Charles Weed, Israel Weed, Nathan Lounsberry, Thadeus Bell, Stephen Bishop, Deodate Davenport, Charles Smith and James Young. Witness: Sam. Jarvis, clerk.
A Catalogue of the Names of the Early Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut; with the time of their arrival in the Country and Colony, their standing in society, place of residence, condition in life, where from, business, etc. Many Bishops listed starting page 241 (p 232 in document).
An Account of the Trial in 1692 of a Woman from Stamford, Connecticut Who Was Accused of Being a Witch by Ronald Marcus. Unlike the more famous Salem Witch Trials, the Stamford cases ended in acquittal. Some involvement from the Rev. John Bishop and Stephen Bishop, Sr.
Stephen Bishop Jr. Will
Bishop, Stephen, late of Stamford, will dated July 21, 1731, probated Aug. 3, 1731, mentions his children Stephen, Joseph, Azuba, and Elizabeth. Executor his brother Isaac Bishop. Witnesses Ebenezer Wright, John Bishop, and John Bell, page 27. Inventory filed Apr. 4, 1733, page 27. Apr. 4, 1733, account filed, and distribution ordered as in his will. Azuba and Stephen over fourteen, Joseph and Elizabeth under fourteen, and guardians appointed for them, page 29.
Source: Abstracts of Stamford Probate Records - Book One compiled by Spencer P. Mead
History of Stamford, Connecticut
In the History of Stamford, Connecticut by Elijah Baldwin Huntington, these entries for the Bishop family are found:
Joseph Bishop, a Sholger, son of Joseph Bishop of Stamford, died with sickness at Lake George, Nov. 25, at night in the year 1755.
Bishop, Hezekia, enlisted at sixteen and was pensioned. Died in 1839.
Bishop, Jonathan, in company for the defense of New York, 1775.
Bishop, Stephen, served in '75 and 197 days in '76, and then re-enlisted. He was a sergeant and was pensioned.
Bishop, Jacob, served 133 days in '76.
Stephen Bishop was listed as a town official for the year 1800.
The following votes of the town give us our only knowledge of the progress made by the Episcopalians at this time. The first was under date of Dec. 2, 742, and is in answer to an appeal made by the Episcopalians for a grant of
land, on which to build:
"The town agree to put in a committee to view the place by Mr. Eliphalet Holly's, where the professors of the Church of England have petitioned for setting a church house, whether it may be granted without
damage to the town, and to make return to the adjourned town meeting; and Ensigh Jonathan Bell, Sergeant Nathaniel Weed, and Joseph Bishop, to be th court, for the purpose aforesaid."