224. Joseph Bishop

Joseph Bishop

B 30 August 1715  |  Stamford, CT, USA

D abt 1800  |  St. Clair Bottom, VA, USA

M 15 July 1740  |  Stamford, CT, USA

Joseph Bishop was born 30 August 1715 in Stamford, Connecticut, and died Aft. 1800 in St. Clair Bottom, Virginia. He married SARAH (BOUGHTON) BOUTON 15 July 1740 in Stamford, Connecticut, daughter of JACHIN BOUTON and MARY WHITE. She was born July 15, 1722 in Probably Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, and died Aft. 1775 in St. Clair Bottom, Virginia.



Survey for William Tilloston mentioning a small white oak on Jonathan Bishop's land

St. Clair Bottom Survey

A survey completed for William Tillston indicating trees on both Jonathan and Joseph Bishop's land as markers.

Added by Michael D. Ketchum 3 September 2014
Bishop History by Esther Bishop  Bishop and Staadt History by Esther Bishop

A Bishop History written by my great aunt, Esther Rosetta Bishop Karstensen.

Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop  Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop

A chronical of the Bishop Family penned by Lewis Conley Bishop



Jonathan Bishop was mentioned in an indenture between Jonathan Bishop to Levi Bishop on 16 Mar 1804, as conveying land to Jonathan Bishop from Joseph on 16 July 1793. Land on the south Fork of Holstein river adjoining Tinklers old patent, part of the land granted to Joseph Cole and Robert Campbell dated 6 May 1787, Conveyed to Jonathan Bishop from Joseph Bishop 16 July 1793 and part of another tract granted to Jonathan Bishop 5 July 1785. Land bounded by land of Joseph Cole, Levi Bishop and John Bishop.

In the Washington County Deeds on 16 Mar 1804, there was an indenture from Jonathan Bishop to John Bishop of 136 acres for 156 pounds. The property was on a branch of the South fork of the Holstein river, part of a tract of land granted to Jonathan by patent dated 15 July 1785.

Father of Capt Levi Bishop, departed this life July 6, 1831 aged 82 years lacking 10 days.
Wife of Jonathan, departed this life Nov. 7, 1820 aged 77 years

History of Stamford, Connecticut

In the History of Stamford, Connecticut by Elijah Baldwin Huntington, these entries for the Bishop family are found:

Joseph Bishop, a Sholger, son of Joseph Bishop of Stamford, died with sickness at Lake George, Nov. 25, at night in the year 1755.

Bishop, Hezekia, enlisted at sixteen and was pensioned. Died in 1839.

Bishop, Jonathan, in company for the defense of New York, 1775.

Bishop, Stephen, served in '75 and 197 days in '76, and then re-enlisted. He was a sergeant and was pensioned.

Bishop, Jacob, served 133 days in '76.

Stephen Bishop was listed as a town official for the year 1800.

The following votes of the town give us our only knowledge of the progress made by the Episcopalians at this time. The first was under date of Dec. 2, 742, and is in answer to an appeal made by the Episcopalians for a grant of land, on which to build:

"The town agree to put in a committee to view the place by Mr. Eliphalet Holly's, where the professors of the Church of England have petitioned for setting a church house, whether it may be granted without damage to the town, and to make return to the adjourned town meeting; and Ensigh Jonathan Bell, Sergeant Nathaniel Weed, and Joseph Bishop, to be th court, for the purpose aforesaid."

St. Sinclairs Bottom

On the south fork of the Holston, there was a "neighborhood" of a group of hardy pioneer Baptists. These included the Pierces and Wolseys, who took up land independently and jointly, as well as the Holliotts, Coles, Wheelers, Thomases, and Bishops; The land of these early settlers lay around a magnificent tract of 996 acres, known then and still called Sinclair's Bottom. This great tract had been patented by Charles Sinclair on 3 Aug 1753 and had lived on it until the French and Indian War massacres of 1755 drove him out. The land around Sinclair's Grant was the property of the speculative Loyal Company. From the Loyal company Thomas Wolsey bought a tract of nearly a square mile, 613 acres. On the edge of the tract, a Baptist Meeting house was erected. The date of the survey for this 613 acres to Wolsey is February 23, 1775 in the Fincastle records, but the meeting house, of course, had existed before this.

About Me

Father, writer, poet, producer, director, actor, singer, guitarist, graphic designer, raconteur, excellent typist, determined, profound speaker, zero-gravity thinker, sage advisor, gruntled, website builder, skeptic, intermittently quixotic, historian, foodie...approaching all endeavors with a bit of Sprezzatura.