112. Jonathan Bishop

Jonathan Bishop

B 26 June 1749  |  Stamford, CT, USA

D 6 July 1831  |  St. Clair Bottom, VA, USA

M 1773  |  St. Clair Bottom, VA, USA

Jonathan was born in Stamford, CT and subsequently moved to a settlement in Virginia called St. Clair Bottom, now part of Chilhowie.


Survey for William Tilloston mentioning a small white oak on Jonathan Bishop's land

St. Clair Bottom Survey

A survey completed for William Tillston indicating trees on both Jonathan and Joseph Bishop's land as markers.

Added by Michael D. Ketchum 3 September 2014
Bishop History by Esther Bishop  Bishop and Staadt History by Esther Bishop

A Bishop History written by my great aunt, Esther Rosetta Bishop Karstensen.

Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop  Family History from an Early Date by Lewis Conley Bishop

A chronical of the Bishop Family penned by Lewis Conley Bishop

An Iowa Story - Grandpa and Grandma Bishop Build a Home  An Iowa Story - Grandpa and Grandma Bishop Build a Home

A story in The Griswold American, 1949, titled, "An Iowa Story - Grandpa and Grandma Bishop Build a Home" by Wanda Smith, granddaughter.



Jonathan Bishop was mentioned in an indenture between Jonathan Bishop to Levi Bishop on 16 Mar 1804, as conveying land to Jonathan Bishop from Joseph on 16 July 1793. Land on the south Fork of Holstein river adjoining Tinklers old patent, part of the land granted to Joseph Cole and Robert Campbell dated 6 May 1787, Conveyed to Jonathan Bishop from Joseph Bishop 16 July 1793 and part of another tract granted to Jonathan Bishop 5 July 1785. Land bounded by land of Joseph Cole, Levi Bishop and John Bishop.

In the Washington County Deeds on 16 Mar 1804, there was an inde nture from Jonathan Bishop to John Bishop of 136 acres for 156 pounds. The property was on a branch of the South fork of the Holstein river, part of a tract of land granted to Jonathan by patent dated 15 July 1785.

Land Deed

Smythe Co. Deed Book #4 pages 131-132 shows a deed from Hezekiah and Esther Bonham to their son, James, 5-3-1845 as follows, extract, by a recent survey 71 acres, more or less, being a part of the tract of land patented to Jonathan Bishop, 4th of June, 1794, containing 327 acres by survey bearing the date of 10th Jan. 1792. This land was originally in Washington Co. until Smythe Co. was formed in 1838 (sic - 1832). The Washington Co. records show the transfer of this land from Jonathan Bishop to William Bonham.

Land Sale

20 June 1792 - Joseph Cole sold about one acre of land on the north side of South Fork of the Holston River for 20 shillings to James Wheeler, John Thomas, and Jonathan Bishop, who were Acting Trustees of Congregation and Meeting House formerly known as Sinclairs / St. Clairs Bottom. ANNALS OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA - 1769 - 1800. By Lewis Preston Summers. (1 Volume in 2 Parts - Part - 2). Page, 1294 & 1295. - [Washington County, Virginia] - Page, 260. June 20 1792. James S Cole to Jas. Wheeler, John Thomas and Johnathan Bishop, acting trustees of the congregation and meeting house formerly known as Sinclairs Bottom on the North side of the South Fork of Holston River. 20 Shillings - 1 acre and 100 Poles of Land.


Jonathan and Margaret are both buried in the St Clair Bottom Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery. The inscription reads as follows:

Father of Capt Levi Bishop, departed this life July 6, 1831 aged 82 years lacking 10 days.
Wife of Jonathan, departed this life Nov. 7, 1820 aged 77 years

St. Sinclairs Bottom

On the south fork of the Holston, there was a "neighborhood" of a group of hardy pioneer Baptists. These included the Pierces and Wolseys, who took up land independently and jointly, as well as the Holliotts, Coles, Wheelers, Thomases, and Bishops; The land of these early settlers lay around a magnificent tract of 996 acres, known then and still called Sinclair's Bottom. This great tract had been patented by Charles Sinclair on 3 Aug 1753 and had lived on it until the French and Indian War massacres of 1755 drove him out. The land around Sinclair's Grant was the property of the speculative Loyal Company. From the Loyal company Thomas Wolsey bought a tract of nearly a square mile, 613 acres. On the edge of the tract, a Baptist Meeting house was erected. The date of the survey for this 613 acres to Wolsey is February 23, 1775 in the Fincastle records, but the meeting house, of course, had existed before this.

About Me

Father, writer, poet, producer, director, actor, singer, guitarist, graphic designer, raconteur, excellent typist, determined, profound speaker, zero-gravity thinker, sage advisor, gruntled, website builder, skeptic, intermittently quixotic, historian, foodie...approaching all endeavors with a bit of Sprezzatura.